Saturday 5 January 2013

Corker of a curry sauce

It's Saturday night and that means if you're not going out then you're most likely about to watch some form of a reality program and you've had to order your favourite take out .. Lets face it, reality tv and a good old take out go hand in hand.

For me it's got to be the British classic fish & chips - chunky chips, fish in a crispy bubbly batter and a good kick of vinegar. My favourite side would have to be a tough choice between onion rings and curry sauce... (it's the Asian in me screaming out for some spice)

Being the perfectionist I am when it comes to food, I haven't found a take away curry sauce that I love enough to have with my beloved fish & chips , so I always make my own ( surprise surprise !)

This curry sauce can be made in advance, I sometimes even freeze batches as it can be used as a base for almost any curry

You will need:

5 medium onions
1tsp salt
3 green chillies
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
1/2 tin chopped / plum tomatoes
2 tablespoons garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste

Start by slicing your onions and fry in a heavy based pan in a little oil. When the onions have softened , add the salt, chillies, ginger and garlic paste.

Stir over a medium heat, stirring to ensure the mixture doesn't catch the pan. If you find it begins to catch, add a splash of water.

When the chillies have softened and the onions are turning golden brown, add the curry powder, paprika, cumin seeds and tomatoes.

Leave to simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes , then blend together with an electric hand blender. If you've not got an electric blender it's just as good to quickly mash with a hand masher.

And that's all it takes ! If the consistency is too thick for your liking add a little water and simmer for a couple of minutes to heat through

No comments:

Post a Comment