Monday, 20 January 2014

Pimped up Banana Cake


Bananas - Now there's a fruit I really struggle with, I've never liked them since I was a child and even now I will avoid them at all costs. What I also really don't like it wasting food, the absolute feeling of guilt of throwing away edible food is one that I could do without out.

So picture my despair a few weeks back when for what must have seemed the billionth time, as I noticed 3 very over ripe & lonely banana's sitting in the fruit bowl. I certainly wasn't going to eat them and i knew full well that as the kids had already eaten their daily share as part of their school lunch, that they wouldn't have another. So what to do ? I decided to take to twitter and ask my fellow tweeters what to do 

The overall majority suggested banana loaf or cake, and I was even given a recipe by a fellow mum who i have come to know through twitter. So make it I did, and even dared to try a bit and I have to say I rather enjoyed it, the kids and other half loved it.

So I've now made it a few times, tweaked it and added my own twist ! I do hope you'll like this variation

For my banana & walnut sandwich you will need:

4oz melted butter
4oz  soft dark brown sugar
4oz self raising flour
75g walnuts - crushed roughly
3 medium ripe bananas
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 medium eggs

For the Vanilla butter cream you will need:
300g icing sugar
150g butter softened
few drops of vanilla extract 

  • Grease and line 2 20cm cake tins & preheat your oven to 180c 
  • In a bowl, add the butter, soft brown sugar & golden syrup, mix until combined.
  • Whisk the eggs, add into the bowl with the sugar & butter
  • Mash up the bananas, add to your mixture  along with the crushed walnuts, cinnamon & milk
  • Stir through thoroughly and add in the flour through a sieve, fold in quickly and lightly so as to keep in as much air as possible
  • Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 sandwich tins and bake for about  15- 18 minutes till golden brown or the cake has a slight spring to it. Leave to cool completely
  • To make your buttercream simply combine the icing sugar & softened butter till smooth. When the cakes have cooled, spread the buttercream onto the top of one the cakes so the buttercream comes almost to the edges
  • Take the second cake and gently place on top of the iced peice - and there you have a banana & walnut sandwich    



No comments:

Post a Comment