- start by chopping your onion and browning in a heavy based pan in a little oil, add in the ginger garlic & the salt
- On a medium heat, cook the onion with the ginger and garlic till golden brown & completely softened.
- Add in the chillies & curry powder, lower the heat, cook through until the chillies have softened. Remember to stir occasionally & add splashes of water if need be to stop it from catching the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes till tomatoes have softened.
- While the tomatoes are simmering, peel & chop the potatoes into quarters. Par boil them in a pan, drain and put to the side.
- When the tomatoes have softened, add in the chickpeas, cook through on a medium heat for about 5-8 minutes and add in the potatoes. Check the seasoning & add more salt if need be to your taste,leave to simmer on a low heat
- While the potatoes & chickpeas are simmering, toast your seeds on a low heat in a frying pan till browned. Remove from the heat as soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop & add into the chickpeas & potatoes and stir through*
- Add enough water just to cover the potatoes & chickpeas and leave to simmer on a medium heat for about 10 minutes. Serve with boiled rice, naan or even poori's
Saturday, 14 June 2014
Potato & Chick pea curry
This is another vegetarian favourite of mine .. quick and simple but packed full of flavour. It's great with rice or naan or even on it's own with a good dollop of natural yogurt. It's also a dish traditionally eaten on Eid for breakfast with Poori's ( fried flatbread) and halva (semolina based dessert), the combination of spice with warm sweet halva is just amazing
To serve 4-6 people you will need
1 large onion
2 tsp garlic paste or crushed garlic
1 tsp ginger paste or crushed ginger
1 tsp salt
1 green chilli
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tsp curry powder
2 x 400g tin chickpeas - water drained
3 large potatoes
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp poppy seeds
fresh coriander to garnish
2-3 tbsp natural yogurt ( optional )